Hiya. 🙂 I took it kinda easy with this week’s DeCluttering, primarily because I’m feeling lazy, and also because whew! I did not want to do another closet after last week! So I tackled the two kitchen drawers that get opened the most: the Utensil Drawer and the Other Drawer That Holds The Other Stuff That I Use Frequently. Prepare yourselves….this is before:
That’s a lot of stuff. I don’t even cook, so imagine if I did! I just went ahead and pulled it all out…threw away some things that were just so old and/or I knew I won’t ever use. Along the way I learned some things:
- I didn’t need to buy a candy thermometer at Christmas because I already had one. Still in the package.
- I had 3 more pairs of scissors than I realized.
- I somehow have 3 apple corers.
- We hold on to fast food straws like maniacs. We’ve clearly been burned too many times by the drive-thru window, so now we hoard every extra straw that comes our way.
- I still love anything that is wee, but I am never going to have a legitimate need for a wee whisk.
- I have no idea what this thing is:
I did take all the monster-sized grill utensils and move them to the overflow closet that I decluttered last week, but I put them in a handy basket and placed them on one of the empty shelves..so that’s not counter-productive. So says me.
I grabbed some little narrow baskets that I had laying around and used them to help organize the Other Drawer. I also had to stick some of the rarely-used items in the backs of both drawers, but it’s still fairly neat and tidy. And, oh yeah, I kept all the straws…BUT they’re bundled up into a ziploc bag. Therefore, I still win.
Now, if I was awesome like the Petersiks over at Young House Love (one of my daily favorites) then I would have stripped out the old shelf paper and put in some new and precious paper…or painted the inside..or something. I am not that awesome. I did give the drawers a thorough anti-bacterial scrub down, though. Maybe someday I’ll do the awesome thing, too.
And ta da! Another successful decluttering! Yay me! Speaking of clutter, I also saw a timely post over at Thrifty Decor Chick where she just decluttered her basement craft room. MAJOR work – that’s more of a DeClutter Week than a DeClutter Thursday…and she did a great job! It looks awesome, so be sure to check it out!